What is Media Studies?

The Integrated Media Studies classes are mandatory, trimester, non-elective courses, grades 9-11 that are integrated into the cultural history curriculum. In all the Media Studies courses, students learn to deconstruct and construct media via collaborative and individual projects and activities, production, discussion, and written reflection. This is a double-period class.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Dylan's Self Portrait

Having journeyed and moved from house to house throughout my lifespan, I have often been put into the situation of leaving old friends and familiar places and situations in the exchange for new characters and experiences. Originally born in Madison, Wisconsin, as represented in the “Wisconsin” shirt I am wearing, I have found myself moving since birth, and most recently, I journeyed to East Hampton, New York all the way from San Antonio, Texas. Because I lived in San Antonio for nearly six or seven years, this last move was the most difficult, and I encountered great depths of nostalgia as well as renewals of friendship and a greater appreciation for the world around me. In this picture, I am running through a dark, mysterious forest, lost and confused, as I look around for any possible light or route of escape, not knowing what lies before me, in the dark mist, as I sprint up and down hills, and around trees and brush. Just as I am new to New York and don’t know what to expect, I am a foreign concept to the forest, and do not appear natural in comparison to the smooth trees and branches in the background. Apart from enjoying the act of running as a physical hobby, I perceive running as a motivational tool, symbolizing the perseverance, strength and determination I encompass. Through the practice of running, good always comes out of it in the long run, no matter how many hardships are endured in its process, just as my moving to the Hamptons brought about more good than bad, and I was able to discover myself in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment