What is Media Studies?

The Integrated Media Studies classes are mandatory, trimester, non-elective courses, grades 9-11 that are integrated into the cultural history curriculum. In all the Media Studies courses, students learn to deconstruct and construct media via collaborative and individual projects and activities, production, discussion, and written reflection. This is a double-period class.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Self Portrait Louis Caiola

Artistic Statement:

In my self-portrait, I show myself on the beach. Ever since I was a child, going to the beach was a normal activity for my family. This common activity in my life fostered my love for the ocean and the beach. I always relate the beach with family or friends. I had a traditional and serious upbringing, which is shown by the somber mood of the picture. I used tracks in the sand to symbolize the life that I am currently following and its direct route towards the ocean and the expanse of the world. I have several of my footprints in the sand following the tracks showing how I have an influence on which direction I can take. There are also many other tracks and footprints that cross through my path, which symbolizes my experiences with new ideas and people just by the choices I make. These ideas are intertwined with the idea that I choose the path I want therefore leading to new experiences in life.

This path that I take continues in the direction of the ocean, which symbolizes the vast and intricate world we live in. On the top is the clear sky, which is the beauty and tranquility in life people strive for, but on the bottom is the rough surf. This symbolizes the conflict in the world in order to reach a better understanding of the world and to reach their beliefs and their goals. I am subject to this and I am depicted as just a small person in a large world with many ideas and people battling for their beliefs. I am following my path to experiencing it all. Most of my body is dark, which shows that there is still things that I have yet to discover about myself, and the world. This also shows how life can have a dark side along with mystery. I am in a serious mood, which shows my work ethic. I am looking behind me to assess the origins of life and what the past has done to bring me to the future. I view this gesture as my love for history and its effects on how the paths of life lead to the future. All these tracks form what I understand of the world and how it functions. As I continue my path through life, I continue to learn and appreciate the world I live in and form my own opinions on the changes in my surroundings.

-Louis Caiola

1 comment:

  1. http://gradschool.unc.edu/programs/royster/images/James-Smith-Kenan.jpg

    ReplyDelete