
Artist Statement:
I decided to make a square-based collage. None of the pictures are overlapped, but there's no space in between them. Each means something special to me. The big one on the left is me putting polo wraps on the pony, meant to show my dedication to riding and horses. The one on the bottom right is me hanging off a street sign pole, looking at a tree and thinking. The one right above that is me and my old pony. He will always hold a special place in my heart because he and I had a special connection. He was a very picky and choosy pony and he would only let his owner and me catch him from the field and ride him without trying to buck us off. When I think of him, the words "brother" and "forever as one" come to mind. One day, that connection got shattered when I changed where I rode, which was not my decision. The one in the top, right corner is a racecar. I like watching racing and that is my favorite driver. The picture is meant to symbolize life speeding by. The last picture, to the left of the racecar, is my feet walking on a beach. I thought it symbolized freedom and individuality.
Trial and Error:
The big picture of me polo wrapping a pony was taken by a 9-year-old kid at my barn because she was the only one who was there. It took a while to get her to understand what I wanted it to look like, and she kept getting it blurry, but eventually she got a good one. The one on the bottom right was hard because it was very windy and I didn't want it to look windy, I kind of wanted it to look frozen in time. The one of me and my old pony was hard because he kept wanting to go eat grass and it was hard to keep his head up. The two pictures above that were easy because it was a head-on picture of Helio driving, so I had more time to get the picture, and the picture of my feet was a candid that my dad took and it just worked itself out.
No comments:
Post a Comment