What is Media Studies?

The Integrated Media Studies classes are mandatory, trimester, non-elective courses, grades 9-11 that are integrated into the cultural history curriculum. In all the Media Studies courses, students learn to deconstruct and construct media via collaborative and individual projects and activities, production, discussion, and written reflection. This is a double-period class.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Roosevelt's Self Portrait

Artist Statement: In my self portrait, I attempted to symbolize my ability to rise above negative situations and soar to different heights. The moon serves as a measuring point of how high I am able to rise. The chain symbolizes obstacles/negative situations and also represents the fact that no situation can suppress me. It signifies that whatever I'm trying to accomplish will not be hindered by an obstacle or anything negative. I always pride myself on being able to focus on certain goals in my life and even in the midst of turmoil, I always try to keep my cool. The connotation of the moon for me has always been calm/peacefulness for me, and implementing the moon into my portrait gives the portrait a serene element that I think is important.
Trial & Error: Throughout the creation of my portrait, I struggled to find the best idea that would represent me the best. After brainstorming a few ideas, I decide to take a picture of me jumping. I then fooled around with backgrounds that I felt would be most appropriate to represent aspects of me. After going through a few backgrounds, I decided that the night sky would best suit the point I was trying to get across. After that I then fooled around with a couple of elements that I felt would develop the photo more. I decided that the chains and the moon would help develop the photo to it's fullest potential. I then proceeded to invert my image, and after printing my final image out, I spent time in the dark room finishing up what needed to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment