


Artist Statement:
I see growing up is a time to discover and create. It is a time to sprout my leaves, and begin to climb. The more I discover and take in each day, the higher I may go. Eventually we reach a point where it is possible to peer through that window, and see what lies ahead.
When we are young, we are guided, and pointed in the right direction. But when we come of age the road, once laid out before us, disappears, and it is time to make a decision. It is time to ask myself, “Where am I going?”, and choose where to place my next step. I have reached this point, where the path seemingly comes to an end, but truly it hasn’t. It has simply disappeared, and it is up to me to discover it.
No matter the path I choose to follow, it is time to take off running. Time to see as much as I can see. It is time to run full force, and devote my self and my passion wholly to whatever lies ahead.
Trial and Error:
For my self portrait I chose to shoot with a 4x5 view camera. I had never used this type of film camera before, so learning it took time and patience. However, I loved the antiquity of it, and composing and shooting my portrait felt like a true art form. To process the film, I used trays of chemicals in total darkness, a method called tray processing. This was very tedious and hard to get right, but after practicing with old film, I was able to process my 10 shots correctly, and print them with few problems.
No comments:
Post a Comment