What is Media Studies?

The Integrated Media Studies classes are mandatory, trimester, non-elective courses, grades 9-11 that are integrated into the cultural history curriculum. In all the Media Studies courses, students learn to deconstruct and construct media via collaborative and individual projects and activities, production, discussion, and written reflection. This is a double-period class.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Jon Lesser's Self-Portrait

Artist Statement:

My self-portrait is much more a representation of my thoughts than either my physicality or other aspects of my life. It represents my drive to learn and compile information and opinions inside my head. On occasion I have found myself under a pile of books, struggling to reach the top as the morning hours approach faster and faster. I have strong opinions, and I stick to them when I believe whole-heartedly that I am right, but that doesn’t mean that I am not open to what other people are saying to me. Although I am a self-proclaimed atheist, I often contemplate both the existence and hypothetical power of God, represented by the light. The question of God’s existence is a personal one in the deepest possible way, because the answer is different for every person. It is a question that I can’t answer for myself now, but I want to be able to in the future. Like the great Saint Thomas Aquinas thought, the path to God is through knowledge, and that I can agree with completely. Maybe God does exist, maybe He doesn’t, but the only way I will find out is to learn as much as possible. It is these opinions and my drive for knowledge that identifies me best.

Trial and Error of Production:

In the fall trimester of my freshman year I took Ms. Martino’s Intro to Photography course, so I had some background working in the darkroom and with film. The self-portrait project was nice because we were allowed to use Photoshop and computer effects to improve our images after we took them. So I began by taking the picture of myself that I would use in the final image and carefully cropped myself out. I then found an image of a large pile of books for me to be climbing. I put myself in, played around with different levels and added a camera flare for the light I wanted. I was all set to print when I found out that my image was barely larger than my thumb. Unfortunately I had to go back, find a larger image, and redo the whole thing before I could even start the process. I finally got my correctly sized negative and began to print. I ran a few tests, and after some errors with the enlarger were fixed, I had myself a self-portrait that looked great. I learned a lot in the darkroom during this time, and if I had to do it over again, I’m sure it would be easy for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment