What is Media Studies?

The Integrated Media Studies classes are mandatory, trimester, non-elective courses, grades 9-11 that are integrated into the cultural history curriculum. In all the Media Studies courses, students learn to deconstruct and construct media via collaborative and individual projects and activities, production, discussion, and written reflection. This is a double-period class.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Caroline Lasersohn




For my collage, I decided to make it before thinking about its meaning to me. I did this because all the photos I picked stood out to me, and I wanted to discover why by using the final product. Because of this, my collage has an emotional style and very busy and crowded due to the fact people like many things for different reasons.
I had a large amount of nature pictures, which to me represents my love for nature and the beauty in natural things. I also have many beach photos because it represents home. East Hampton has always been close to me, especially when I left for three years. In the top left hand corner I have a photo of a tornado, which is one of my biggest fears. Right above that there is a stiletto of a snowboarder, because I love to snowboard and in the bottom right hand corner, I have a dreamy piece, which represents how I love to dream. So while things are obvious, the one thing I really had to think about was the big cat in New York City. This represents how we are all a bit wild and dropped into this society, but everyone is still primitive in our ways and we just make modern day excuses for them. In the middle I have the skeletons, and I put this into piece on purpose. The skeletons represent how this is my unconscious’ bones and structure. Finally, “Keep Calm and Carry On” is my favorite quote and a guideline on how to live my life.
I was pleased with the outcome, and I think I came out with a better understanding of myself. Just making art and analyzing it afterwards was really interesting and helped me answer the question, “Why do I like this?”

No comments:

Post a Comment