What is Media Studies?

The Integrated Media Studies classes are mandatory, trimester, non-elective courses, grades 9-11 that are integrated into the cultural history curriculum. In all the Media Studies courses, students learn to deconstruct and construct media via collaborative and individual projects and activities, production, discussion, and written reflection. This is a double-period class.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Ella's Collage

Artist Statement: Because my own philosophical outtake on life is definitely a little scattered, this is reflected in my collage. Some of the images are simply ones that I find interesting and caught my eye. Many of the components do directly represent me though. In the center of my collage is a picture of my family. Family is very central in my life, in a lot of ways my family has shaped the way I look at the world and some of my opinions. The other central image of a face surrounded by butterflies represents the mind and the constant activity of our thoughts. Butterflies, to me, also represent freedom and liberation from struggle and mental mind blocks, I put butterflies throughout my collage as a sort of theme. In the top right corner of my collage there is an image-string of heavily made up, beautiful faces. It leads to a pair of self-portraits, one that I drew in the sixth grade and one that I drew when I was three. I think that the pictures from the magazine are just as inaccurate representation of what people truly look like then my crudely drawn portraits, and just as invented. The media portrays people in a way that when comparing yourself to these images, your flaws will always stand out. On the opposite side there is a column of hands leading up the side. I think hands are very interesting and its strange to notice how different everyone’s hands are. Hands are also a universal communication tool and a consistent way to observe your surroundings, even if your other senses are unable to. The ants symbolize the fact that we are ants, even smaller than ants, in comparison to the rest of the universe. And, just like ants, our species is really just as fragile and easily destroyed.

Personal Philosophy: Writing your personal philosophy is a big challenge, making into a concise and understandable paragraph is even more difficult. I don’t think that it is possible for a person, no matter what their age, to be able to define what their philosophy regarding life it. We can talk about what we believe and how it relates to our world, but the idea of our personal philosophy is something that seems completely unattainable to me. That said, here are some things that I agree with and think are true and valid: I have faith in the absolute importance and necessity of nature being an active part of everyone’s life. I believe that true spirituality and understanding of the “bigger picture” and our purpose here comes from things learned in the most natural of settings and without so many distractions of the beliefs of other, perhaps more intellectually inclined, people. Nothing should have to be overly complicated when it comes to what you truly believe. I think that nature completely represents that simplicity.

2 comments:

  1. I like the bright colors that you use in the collage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the butterflies in the center of your collage. They give it an almost 3D look, and draw your eye right in. It is also nice how you use common elements to unite areas of the collage.

    ReplyDelete