What is Media Studies?

The Integrated Media Studies classes are mandatory, trimester, non-elective courses, grades 9-11 that are integrated into the cultural history curriculum. In all the Media Studies courses, students learn to deconstruct and construct media via collaborative and individual projects and activities, production, discussion, and written reflection. This is a double-period class.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Eunice Kim Collage


I made my collage based on what I feel towards the world. I used magazines and small amount of other things to portrait myself.
I had some hard time on finding images. It is easy to think what I want to use, but it was hard to find the exact image that I was thinking about. Also, designing the posture of many images was very difficult. I had to figure out all the positions, putting things on top or under of other images or cutting out some parts.
I put a poster with the slogan on the very back of my collage, “Join The Revolution!” However, it is hard to recognize the letters in my collage. The reason why I put it in the back and cover all the letters and make harder to see is because I have the thought making revolution part of my life, but it is not strong enough for me than other things. This work took me long time to plan, and actually do.
I used many eye images, Korean traditional paper 한지on my collage. Eye represented one of my philosophical thought. “Do Not Lie”, when I lie something, I always got punishments, even if no one know that I lied. I meant to say, “everyone is concentrating what you are doing and what you think be careful or be valor and honest.” And I used the traditional paper so, make it have more of Korean texture and audience to feel that I am proud of myself the fact that I am Korean.
My other philosophical thought was “Do Things What You Really Want To Do”. I am curious person. And I love to find out what I truly want to do. Sometimes it comes to me so sudden it refreshes my brain and brightens it. So, I put the soft avocado light ball represents my enlightenment thoughts and two Ws meaning “What I Really Want”. Under the letter, I stuck noodle, represents my brain, thought.
I put the map and Korean stylish structure to say I am from far away from Korea, and I put the car to help showing my feelings as being here. The car has more then one dimension of my personal thought. The car means I traveled long from all the way down Korea to here meanwhile, it means that “Do Not Regret On What I Have Done”.
To represent “Do Not Lie”, I put bunch of eye I mentioned also, I put the cigarette in man’s hand and said “Sometimes It Is Sweet, But As You Know, It Is Always Harmful”.
“Be Great In Act, As You Thought” was the easiest one among the other ideas. I help people by paying donation money to Unisef. But, I see many people just stop on their great thought. Not doing the most important part, acting out. So, I put a little girl who representing me with the light ball on her left side and on the same side of her eye, I put another girl’s photo herself and man’s hair and another person’s eyeballs. Attached a woman’s hands and body and made her to hold a starving baby who is in Africa. I tried to show how I work in real act, and how I think.

My last philosophical idea was “Love Others. Give Your Love To People Who Need It”. On the bottom, I put a little black baby boy who is in between two fat, strong women. He seems so lonely and sad. When I first saw him. I was not so sure what he was doing, but I had poignant sorrow in my heart. Crumbled it and put non-filled with air balloon as his empty heart. And I show the change after he gets some love by using a full-filled balloon.

No comments:

Post a Comment