What is Media Studies?

The Integrated Media Studies classes are mandatory, trimester, non-elective courses, grades 9-11 that are integrated into the cultural history curriculum. In all the Media Studies courses, students learn to deconstruct and construct media via collaborative and individual projects and activities, production, discussion, and written reflection. This is a double-period class.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Collage by Annie Rubin


My philosophical thought is i've grown up doing many things and trying new things but I think you should have one thing that you stick with. For me that would be horseback riding. I rode a couple various times when I was younger and then when I was about ten or eleven I started riding more and then when I was fourteen I started riding more seriously by doing horseshows and moving out to Water Mill so I can ride all the time. "You Have One Life To Live". Along the way though I tried many things such as gymnastics, ballet, soccer, acting, skateboarding, field hockey which my dad bought the equipment and I played it with him twice and decided it wasn't for me, basketball, track, and softball. Another thing that i've been sticking with recently is tennis. I played tennis a lot as a kid but then quit and a little over a year ago I got back into it and have been playing more seriously. Just because you have one thing you stick with though, I still think you should try other things because you never know what else you might have fun with if you never try anything else. "Try New Things", "Take a Chance".


My artistic statement I followed the quote I "Try New Things" for my collage. Although for such a long time I had no idea how to start my collage and how I wanted to design it. Finally I strangely started thinking about the game Life. I was thinking because my philosophical thought is based off of "Try New Things", "Take a Chance" and "You Only Have One Life To Live" that instead going out and buying more magazines to cut things out of to create my collage I was going to start cutting the quotes I found out first. I tried to make my collage on the board game of Life but there was way too much going on in the background so I wanted to redo it. Then I decided to make lines like in the board game so its like you are traveling down a road and you are trying all these things. I thought about all the things that I have tried along the way and I cut out pictures from magazines of them and some pictures from the internet since I couldn't find them in magazines and I put each of them on the paper in starting from the first things I tried that lasted for more than a year to the things I am still doing now. I have a tennis ball on their multiple times and things that have to do with horseback riding on their multiple times because I first rode when I was five but just various lessons and I loved it but I didn't seriously start riding till I was about ten or eleven. For tennis I first played when I was six but when I was nine I quit and then a little over a year ago I started playing again.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Annie! I love your collage! I like the way you designed it to look like a game really captures my eye and I also like that you use different medians for this project!

    ReplyDelete