Artist Statement
This collage shows kids in school on the left side, and carefree people on vacation on the right. The focal point is an up, up, and away feeling of escaping to a place of freedom and not the feeling of working all the time. Sometimes in life we feel stress or anxiety from work or school, and we feel the need to have some fun. I think that we spend too much time on work, and sometime we lose sight of what's important in terms of taking care of ourselves in the sense of rewards and giving ourselves a break. We need to take a step back and look around because life moves quickly and if we don’t take the time to live in the moment then time slips away. Life is fragile, and it is important to appreciate every moment that is handed to us. Through out life we work towards completing our goals. In order to succeed, we need to relax and take a break to evaluate our decisions and reflect on what we really want. What we want is to make ourselves happy right? Instead we should work towards something we truly love to do. Thus, I believe working hard should also be fun by doing something you love.
Philosophy
I have been sitting in front of this computer for a while now watching the minutes pass by, trying to contemplate life. Sadly time keeps going by, and I finally realize that life goes by so fast as the minutes and days pass by so quickly. I already feel like I’ am halfway through high school. It is almost a poignant feeling, because I feel time is going by so fast that I take certain things for granted. There are many different aspects of life that make it great, but also challenging. Life makes us laugh, sad, angry, and sometimes surprises us when we least expect it. I find that life can be extremely unpredictable, but the changes that we have to face in our lives can turn into great changes. Changes that help improve us as people, and have a different perspective on the world. I feel sometimes life is work and no play, as I grow older and I have a greater responsibility. I wake up tired, go to school, come home and do more work till late at night, why do we do all this work? I’m sitting here drumming my fingers on my desk, trying to figure this out, of course we need a good education but why don’t we have more free time, were still kids right? I love to learn and experience education to it’s fullest because I love challenge, but what happened to down time? I think in the end the true challenge of maturing is knowing how to prioritize your rights and needs.
Nice collage Kendall!
ReplyDeleteI really like how you used your personal beliefs to contrast two different things. I think your images all work together nicely. The baseball cap and the pencil are my two favorite components, because they almost pop off the page and create a cool visual effect that benefits to your collage. I think you successfully translated your personal philosophy into your collage, good job! :)
ReplyDeleteDear Kendall,
ReplyDeleteI really love the movement/flow of your collage. Although you have many images overlapping, they all work together in a coherent way. Your philosophies on life are definitely represented in this piece. The collage itself is fun and bright, and shows your joyful personality. Overall this is a job well done.